Still Missing Your W-2?

W-2s should have been mailed out by your employers no later than January 31st. If you don’t receive your W-2 by the end of this week consider doing the following:

 1) Contact your employer. It is possible that they did send a W-2 but it got mixed in the mail or returned.

2) Contact the IRS. If you don’t receive your W-2 by mid-February call the IRS at (800) 829-1040. Be prepared to provide your employer’s contact information, your dates of employment, and data from your last paycheck issued during 2010.

3) File your return. You must still file your return even if you don’t receive your W-2 by April 18th! Attach Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement to your return after you have completed steps 1 and 2 mentioned above.

4) File Form 1040X. You must file an amended return using Form 1040X if you receive your missing W-2 after you file your return and the data reported on the W-2 is different from what was filed.

Simply Taxes, LLC is a local year-round tax preparation firm with an office located in North Raleigh. Our Raleigh accountants are ready to assist you with your questions pertaining to this tax topic and others.

The information contained within this article is for general guidance only. As such, it should not be used as a substitute for consulting with professional accounting, tax, legal or other competent advisers.

This entry was posted in Personal Taxes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Leave a Reply