Where is My W-2? Need a Copy of My W-2!

Before getting too panicked, be advised that W-2s are required to be mailed out by your employers no later than January 31st. If you still don’t have your W-2 by then consider doing the following before sounding the alarms:
1) Contact your employer. It is possible that they did send a 2011 W-2 but it somehow got lost in the mail.

2) Contact the IRS. If you don’t receive your W-2 by mid-February call the IRS at (800) 829-1040. Be prepared to provide your employer’s contact information, your dates of employment, and data from your last paycheck issued during 2011.

3) File your federal and state returns.You must still file your return even if you don’t receive your W-2 by April 17th! Attach IRS Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement to your return after you have completed steps 1 and 2 mentioned above.

4) File Form 1040X. You must file an amended return using Form 1040X if you receive your missing W-2 after you file your return and the data reported on the W-2 is different from what was filed.

Need a copy of a W-2 from before 2011? Click here to find out how.

Simply Taxes, LLC is a local year-round tax preparation firm with an office located in North Raleigh. Our Raleigh accountants are ready to assist you with your questions pertaining to your taxes!

The information contained within this article is for general guidance only. As such, it should not be used as a substitute for consulting with professional accounting, tax, legal or other competent advisers.

This entry was posted in Personal Taxes and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Leave a Reply